Signature

Saturday, March 6, 2010

"As sand through the hourglass..."

...so are the Days of our Runescape Lives.

Yes, the end of Runescape is upon us.  They changed the name of the Hit Points skill to Constitution, and made a minor alteration to how combat works.

They moved the decimal place of all damage related statistics one place to the right.  Yes, I know.  Devistating.

I'm not going to rant.  What I'm going to do is explain why they did what they did, and what it means to me.

What it allows for are potions and items which can boost your maximum HP (now called Life Points) temporarily.  So since Wrthlss Noob has 85 Constitution, he has 850 Life Points.  So if he drinks a potion (yet to be released) and raises it to 100, he would have a maximum of 1000 Life Points.  After taking damage, you could restore your LP to the elevated level by eating!

Before, if you boosted your HP, that bonus was totally gone after you took damage equal to the boost.

It also allows for combat effects that lower your maximum Life Points by reducing your Constitution.  Some elusions to a Dragon Warhammer were made, but I don't think this is more than something people think.  Nothing official to my knowledge, but it seems logical enough.

It's also not a stretch to imagine this being step 1 to the long discussed reworking of the Combat Triangle.  And I doubt that anyone could argue that this needs to be done.  Well...yeah, I'm sure someone could actually.  But I'm not ranting.

As for what it means to me, I have always used the green bar over the head of my character to determine when to eat.  While I know that sharks heal 20 HP (or did), that never really factored into anything I did in-game.  Just looking at the bar, I know when it's time to eat and I have a real good idea of how much will be green after I eat.

Really, it doesn't change the way I do business.  Sure, there's the occasional "OMG" factor that pops up when I get hit for 36, but it's short lived and causes no adverse affects.

It's something everyone has to get used to.

1 comment:

  1. There were other updates, too...but nothing really dramatic. A new Distraction & Diversion which I have yet to even investigate due to other factors. I will post about those separately when I do.

    ReplyDelete