Signature

Monday, April 28, 2008

Chapter 1-Episode 7: Legends don't walk

I'm finding that, thanks to the Grand Exchange, I'm making far more trips to Varrock these days than I did in my previous noobcarnations. Since I've sworn off Magic untill after Dragon Slayer, teleporting is a ways away for me. That leaves Lumbridge's favorite water ride: the log canoes. At a 12, it would take 3 canoe rides to get outside the Grand Exchange. At 27, it'll only take 2 from Lumbridge (I'm only using Lumby as a starting point because of the Home Tele spell). At 42, however, it's one trip. 42 is currently ideal, but I'm going to shoot for 27 right now.

The easiest way to power train woodcutting (especially in free worlds) is the "cut and burn" method. You take a wood cutting axe (equipped is ideal) and a tinderbox, and find a long, uninterrupted stretch of open ground (a road for example) with a lot of the trees you're cutting. You cut the trees until your inventory is full, then you use the tinderbox to set all the logs on fire in a straight line. After a while, you can find a rhythem that lets you light logs without initiating the "striking the tinderbox" animation. This lets you burn logs at an incredible rate.

While the Grand Exchange is a great area to use if you already have the logs to burn, if you're cutting and burning, there's no better place to go (especially at starting levels) than the east-west road between Falador and Port Sarim (just below the cabbage farm). Plenty of regular and oak trees, and more than enough area to clear your inventory (you can eventually work your way down to the Crafting Guild if you don't run back). This is where I'm going.

Woodcutting goal: 27
Logs cut: 93 regular logs/71 oak logs
Firemaking level: 24

I kind of laugh when I get to 21 Woodcutting as I head back to Lumbridge and discover that canoes are a Members only thing. Continuing to 27, while not pointless, is no longer a priority. Thus, I abandon my current goal.

Notes on woodcutting axes: don't run out and buy a new axe every time you can use it. Skip every other one to save money. The axes after bronze that I'd buy would be steel, mithril, and then rune. In fact, if you're starting from level 1, take a steel axe with you and drop the bronze one at 6 Woodcutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment