Signature

Friday, May 2, 2008

Chapter 1-Episode 14: Slay, Be Slain, or Run Away...

Today is a good day. Membership! And...I noticed that at some point my old home world 60 has returned from the brink of oblivion (it was gone for many, many months). Breathless, and a bit nervous, I enter my beautiful, larger (way larger) world.

I start with my plan, but things prove to be difficult from the very start. No potions or rings are for sale for any price. My grandioise plan didn't take this into account.

So, while I wait (and think), I head over to gnome stronghold to train agility up to 25 (at 25 I can use the Skullball course...and I really hate the gnome stronghold). I don't have to wait long for my sales to go through. Now all that is left is the food. Before I head back to Varrock, I grab 3 planks from the Barbarian Outpost, since I'll need them in the quest.
Now my problem is money. For 22 tuna and corn potatos, I need about 30k. I have a bit over 9k, so it's time for my smithing manufacturing business to start up again. I buy 48 coal to get started.

While walking to the GE to sell my bars, an idea strikes me. I'm going to price rings of forging, and buy some of those. This way I can make more iron bars...which sell for about what I make off the steel ones. I put up an offer for 13, and wait about about 20 minutes before I get the message that my offer has been updated. With rings in hand, I head to Ardougne to use some of my larger new world. I use up two rings, and sell the bars. Another small hitch is that nobody is selling tuna potatos. My second, and almost as good, choice is sharks, which comes through immedately. I'm now ready.

I talk to the Guildmaster, who sends me to Ozariac, who gives me a quest and sends me back to the Guildmaster. I ask about everything, get my key, and set out to find the map pieces. First I head to Ice Mountain and talk to the oracle. From there I head to the Port Sarim jail, stopping in Falador on the way, where I buy a wizard mind bomb and grab some needed gear (a pick, a bucket, and 12k). I head to the jail and buy the first map piece. It's about here where it hits me...

Before I get to that dragon, I have to kill a demon (keep in mind that I have done this quest several times, so I don't need to use a guide for it. I simply forgot about it). Which means I'm all but guaranteed to get a Hit Point level. This may make me combat level 37, which I'd rather avoid. I'm suddenly glad I bought extra food and rings. But first, I head over to the mine in Rimmington and mine a piece of clay. I fill my bucket at the well and make soft clay. Now, I go back to the bank to grab some food and rings.

As expected, the Hit Point level is inevidible. Another problem looming on the horizion is the fact that I have to kill so many monsters to find keys that I have a Defence level approaching rapidly. Fortunately, I kill the demon long before that level gets here. As I leave, I head over to the docks and buy the Lady Lumbridge for 2k.
I didn't gather materials prior to the quest, so I have to do that now before I can get any farther. I have the clay, but I still need to turn it into an unfired bowl...plus I need a sheet of silk, a wizard mind bomb, and a lobster pot. I only had enough for the ship when I left Melzar's Maze, so I didn't bother to stop by the fishing shop to get a lobster pot. So I use one of my extra Teletabs to go to Varrock and try the GE. My luck is changing, and I find the pot instantly. I take that and head to Barbarian Village to make the bowl. I use my dueling ring to go to Al Kharid, and buy the silk. Then it's a long walk to Ice Mountain, where I use these items to get my final map piece.

I assemble the map at the bank in Falador, and head to Draynor to see Ned. I talk him into sailing my ship, and he tells me he'll meet me there.

The moment of truth: to Crandor! The trip is uneventful...asside from the occasional dragon, flaming cabin boy, and crashing into islands. I head to the cave, and rush into the dragon's lair. The battle is a bit long, but far from difficult. The rings make all the difference. I decapitate the Dragon with plenty of food to spare.

Quest Complete: 18,650 exp for Strength and Attack, 2 Quest Points, Ability to wear Rune Platebodies (35 Strength, 44 Defence). I overshoot my combat level 40 goal by 2 whole combat levels. But it's still within the range of both my chapter 1 goals!

From the day Wrthlss Noob was created to right now, it has been less than 1 week by about 30 hours. From 25 gp and a wooden shield to full rune...and I'm even able to wear it by the time I'm Combat Level 42. And by doing this I've dispelled a commonly accepted myth: you can't make money with nooby levels. This is completely false, as I was making plenty of money 5 minutes after I got to Lumbridge.

Chapter 1 Complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment