Signature

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chapter 2-Episode 10: Slayer Training

There's nothing really exciting about training slayer, so this will just be a short hint and an assignment log (which I'll probably replace on a separate site).

First thing about slayer is that you'll undoubtedly need food. So, if you don't have a good fishing and/or cooking skill, Slayer will be a very expensive hobby. I can catch and cook rainbow fish, and have plenty of stripy feathers to catch them, hopefully enough to get me to lobsters. My plan is to fish and cook rainbow fish until I can catch and cook lobsters, then after I have about 200 or so I'll to slayer assignments until I run out of food.

Fairy Rings are also very helpful on slayer assignments, as many of the locations of these monsters are out of the way. And being close to a fairy ring means you're close to a bank if you have a Dramen staff. This is why I always carry one.

Assignment: 88 Shades/13 Slayer, 39 Attack, 37 Hit Points, 47 Combat Level
Assignment: 68 Hill Giants/22 Slayer, 40 Attack, 45 Defence, 38 Hit Points, 24 Prayer, 48 Combat Level
Assignment: 11 Vampires/36 Strength, 39 Hit Points, 49 Combat Level
Assignment: 110 Rock Slugs/26 Slayer, 47 Defence

After the shades, I mined 144 iron and sold them to buy a rune battleaxe. I didn't need it yet, but I was 1 level away from 40 Attack.

Before taking on the rock slugs, I trained my Herblore up to the point to where I could make Anti-Poison potions. Lumbridge Swamp Caves have numerous poisonous creatures. I also did Lost Tribe quest to make it easier to get into the caves (Quest Complete: 3,000 Mining [46 Mining]).

I saw my first double digit hit today as well.





Tips for Slayer:

Use a slayer gem occasionally. Pay attention to which slayer master is talking to you. They will provide the assignments that are more appropriate for a person of your level. Even if you don't use it while on assignments, you should still use it to see who's talking to you.

Use good food, and optimize their effects. The better the food, the longer you can stay out there fighting. Know how much your food heals, and never eat before your hit points drop that many.

Know the monsters you're fighting. Know what their max hit is, how many hit points they have, and if they're more vulnerable to a certain type of attack. Knowing this, you'll be able to judge how long an assignment will take, the best type of food to use, and how best to fight them. You should also make sure you don't need special equipment to fight them.

Know your Slayer areas. Know the lay out, and know what monsters are where and what they can do to you. Lumbridge caves in particular can be quite treacherous if you're not prepared. Some areas also have agility shortcuts that take you past dangerous slayer monsters. It's not a totally bad idea to take any special equipment for mosters you may have to pass, in case you accidentally attack one or they turn out to be hostile. Keep in mind that, while most slayer monsters won't attack you, there are some really nasty ones that will (abhorant specters and dark beasts in particular).

Know the outlying area. Sometimes there are spots for you to restock your food supplies (i.e. fishing spots or food animals like cows). While these spots may not provide top notch food, if you plan it right, you could save yourself a trip to the bank. To make better use of these areas, make sure to bring any tools you may need (fishing equipment, axe & tinderbox, ect).

No comments:

Post a Comment