Signature

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Chapter 3: Episode 10-Two birds with one stone

Dragon bones are very expensive, and I'd rather avoid training combat by killing baby dragons (I'm sure to get plenty of combat experience from the quests I need to do). The problem is that I still need 12 more Prayer levels. Since I need quest points anyways, I search the quest rewards page in the Runescape online manual to find some quests that I qualify for that give lots of Prayer XP.

The Holy Grail fits the bill, with an added "bonus" of a large chunk of Defence XP. Again, combat level concerns enter my mind since I still don't have the required 50 Strength, and I find myself grateful that I haven't completed Tree Gnome Village. Oh well, that chunk of Prayer XP is just too good to pass up.

The Holy Grail isn't difficult, but I do have to fight a monster that's more powerful than any I've faced so far. But I'm emboldened by my recent string of successes, and I set off to do the quest.

The only fight, while it takes a while, goes better than expected. At this rate, I'll never get rid of these sharks...

Quest Complete: 2 Quest Points, 11,000 Prayer and 15,300 Defence XP (35 Prayer, 50 Defence, 57 Combat Level).

This puts me 7 levels from what I need for Legends, and 8 short of Protection from Melee (which is my goal). I notice that I'm relatively close to a level so I head off to ecto the bones I got from Zogre Flesh Eaters. I ecto those, and I'm close to yet another level.

I decide to try and fulfill the Rag and Bone Man's quest and his wish list. That's a nice 5500 xp. I have 5 bones, but I don't know what they are (they're in pots already), so I'll have to take them to the man so I can see what I still need to get. I still need a giant rat bone, a big frog leg, and a monkey paw. I grab first two in Lumbridge, and teleport to Karajima to get the last one. Quest Complete: 500 Cooking and Prayer XP. While I can't complete the wish list yet (I need 40 slayer and Horror From the Deep), I'm now set up to start collecting as I go along.

I notice I can get quite a bit from One Small Favor, and that requires Shilo Village...which I need anyways for Legends. That puts Shilo Village top on my list of places to be right now. I don't have a great deal of difficulty with most of the quest, but I do manage to fall crossing the bridge to that tiny island off the south west coast more times than I fell during the entire Underground Pass. It doesn't take long for me to be ready for the final fight.

While the levels don't concern me, it's the fact that I have to fight 3 in a row. But then again, I did fight 3 demons in Underground Pass one right after the other. Despite my minor concerns, the fight is relatively uneventful, and I still have 10 sharks left over. Quest Complete: 3875 Crafting XP, Access to Shilo Village and the Gem Rocks.

While I didn't get a Crafting level, I got a much need Strength level (46 now) fighting Nazastarool.

One Small Favor, while it's not hard, is rather annoying. The quest quite literally runs you all over the world. On a good note, during my trip to H.A.M. Headquarters, I found a Ham cloak lying on the ground (this was the last piece I needed for a future quest).

The battle does not go well. Not because the level 92 monster is out of my league, but because I can't kill it fast enough (another timed battle). After 3 unsuccessful attempts, I try mage. I wear rings of recoil this time around, because I'm certain I'll take more damage. My suspicion was correct, but the rings don't work (they recoil 0 points). I do hit it more often, though and I kill it...although I end up using all but 6 of my sharks (and I use up a lot of my noob food).

It takes about 3 hours total, but I finally finish the trip back. Quest Complete: 2 Quest Points, Glider to Feldip Hills, 2 Red Lamps (10k XP each), Key Ring, can make Guthix Rest tea. I use a lamp on Prayer, which gets me to 40. Since I figure I can get 3 levels on my own, I use the second lamp on Crafting, since I probably won't have access to my snake skin source until after Legends. This gets me to 47.

3 Prayer levels is well over 13k XP, which is more than 100k worth of Dragon Bones. So I decide to hit a few more quests. Recruitment Drive gives some prayer and doesn't require a lot of running around. While it only gives 1k XP for Prayer, it also gives 1k to Herblore XP, which will put me very close to 30. There's nothing required for the quest, except that you need to be a female. So I shell out 3k and do the quest. Quest Complete: 1000 Prayer, Agility and Herblore XP, Initiate Helm (41 Agility).

I decide to try and finish this Prayer training run by snatching another large chunk of XP from the Troll Stronghold quest. Again, there's a quest requirement, which is Death Plateau. Neither is overly difficult, but Troll Stronghold is somewhat lengthy. On the bright side, I'll only really need one of the lamps for Prayer (this should put me about 3k from 43). I'm thinking of using the other lamp on either Smithing or Crafting (probably Smithing, since I don't have very far to go in Crafting). Here's my shopping list for Death Plateau:

10 Bread (2)
10 Cooked Trout (1)
An Iron Bar (2)
Asgarnian Ale (3)
About 130gp (1)
1 Blurberry Special (3)

(1) Denotes items I've already got stockpiled in the bank.
(2) Denotes items I made myself
(3) Denotes items bought from an NPC

It doesn't take very long to gather everything together, and I set off to Burthorpe to get the two quests done. The first quest is just a bit of walking back and forth, and doesn't take long. Nothing to see here, move along. Quest Complete: 1 Quest Point, 3000 Attack, Steel Claws, The ability to smith claws. I don't get a level, but I'm about 1.5k away.

I jump right into Troll Stronghold, and right at the begining is a fight I've been waiting for: Dad. He's only level 101, but fighting him is always a bit challenging. Besides...he's beating you up with a telephone pole! This battle is anything but uneventful, as I don't have Protection from Melee. Dad hit's me for a couple of breath-taking 25's, and has brought my shark total down to 3 (these are from the same batch I bought for Dragon Slayer).

I know a level 113 Troll General is coming up soon, so I return to the GE to stock up on sharks. He can hit as high as 33, and I can't protect from it. I absolutely will be using rings of recoil on this guy. I also take my ectophial, in case I need to beat a hasty retreat. I manage to get myself a total of 23 sharks. If that's not enough, I just simply can't do this quest yet. This fight is a little scary for me right now, because the last thing I want to do right now is have to make enough money to replace the armor I could very well lose. I do decide against wearing my rune helm and Amulet of Glory though. This way, the only major thing I'll need to replace is my rune battleaxe, unless I use Protect Item during the fight (since I don't have Protection from Melee, I am going to do this).

The battle does not go anywhere close to "as planned". I get murdered extremely quickly, and I don't even get an opportunity to turn Protect Item on. I can't do this one without Protection from Melee. But I only lost my battle axe (and a good deal of food).

I decide to give Prayer a break after this. I'm hoping to come up with another idea for training while I work on other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment