Signature

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chapter 3-Episode 8: Chompy Hunting!

While I hate range, there are two things I've always enjoyed doing with it: chompy hunting and zogre hunting. Thus I now intend to do these quests to open these events up to me. But before I even get started, I need to raise my fletching to 30 so I qualify for Zogre Flesh Eaters.

Checking Sal's Runescape Skill Calculator, I see that it will take me making 212 unstrung oak long bows to get there. Instead of using the cut and drop method, though, I bank the logs so I can fletch them all at once. This saves massive amounts of time that I'd spend right clicking on all the bows to get rid of them. This way, I can note them and sell them at the store.

I hit 41 Woodcutting near the end of my collecting, so I slip up to the GE to buy a nice rune woodcutting axe in an effort to speed things up. It does, and it only takes me a few minutes to cut the last 2 inventory loads.

Zogre Flesh Eaters has another requirement: Jungle Potion. This is a quick "run around and gather some stuff" quest, which gives a bit of herblore experience. I head off to Karajima to do that one first. Quest Complete: 1 Quest Point, 775 Herblore XP (27 Herblore).

I teleport to Castle Wars and walk to Feldip Hills to start Big Chompy Bird Hunting. I didn't bring food, so I struggled a bit collecting wolf bones in the swamp (the wolves there are level 64). Another struggling point was finding the ingredients (mine were potato, equa leaves, and tomato). I couldn't remember where the tomato respawn was, so I made several trips back and forth before I found it. Quest Complete: 2 Quest Points, 262 Fletching, 1470 Cooking, 735 Range XP, ogre bow, ability to make ogre bows.

Zogre Flesh Eaters is a little more difficult, because you are almost guaranteed to get diseased in the course of the quest, and the disease drains your skills...both combat and non-combat. By the time I get to the point to where I can make Recylm's Balm, my herblore skill is too low to make it (maybe it's just me but this happens every time I do this quest). I use the Rapid Restore prayer, but it's still a long wait. Finally I get the potions made, the iron brutal arrows made, and finally learn to make the ogre composite bow. I gear up with my ectophial, sharks (the same 12 I've had left over from Dragon Slayer), lobsters and the super-restore potions I got from Grish at the beginning of the quest. I then head out to kill Slash Bash.

The fight is long, but isn't all that dangerous...although I did get hit for a couple consecutive double digit hits which forced me to use one of my sharks. I also get 3 Ourg bones (which are really good in the ectofuntus. Quest Complete: 1 Quest Point, 2000 Range, Fletching, and Herblore XP, ability to make brutal arrows and Relicym's Balm potions (32 Range, 32 Fletching, 29 Herblore).

With these quests done, I set out to take a bit of a break for chompy hunting. I head to White Wolf mountain to gather wolf bones (these wolves are lower level), and make about 100 arrowheads (I get a Hit Point level and 56 Combat level). I head to the chompy hunting grounds south of Castle Wars, and I spend about an hour killing chompys. I end up killing 31, earning myself my Ogre Bowman hat (and end up getting more feathers than I used making the ogre arrows)!

No comments:

Post a Comment